If you are looking the ways to take a screenshot on a Chromebook, It is the right place for you. If you are new to the Chromebook, even something as easy as taking a screenshot can be confusing. Here is what you need to know to take screenshots on Chromebook. Chromebooks can be a little confusing for someone coming from another platform because their keyboard is somewhat different than those of Macs/ Windows PCs. In this article, I will provide you with the different ways to take screenshots on Chromebook.
How to Take a Screenshot on a Chromebook Without Windows Key?
Furthermore, this method does not allow you to take a partial screenshot. So, you will have to edit and crop the screenshot later using a photo editor.
How to Screen Record on Chromebook?
1. By Using Quick Settings
All Chromebooks, including Lenovo, HP, Dell, Asus, etc., provide a screenshot button in Quick settings. Here is how to use it.
- Click on the time present at the bottom-right corner of the Chromebook bracket.
- Then, the Quick settings menu will appear. Click on the up arrow to enlarge the menu.
- Then you will see the Screen capture button, click on it.
- At the bottom of the screen, a screenshot toolbar will appear. Tab the Screenshot button to select it. On the other hand, press the Screen recording if you want to record the screen.
- With the Screenshot button selected, you may take one of the three types of screenshots.
- Select the option which you want, in the toolbar. The screenshot will take, copied to the clipboard, and saved on your Chromebook.
2. By Using Physical Buttons
If you have a convertible, tablet-style, or 2-in-1 Chromebook, then you can take a screenshot just like you do on a smartphone. For this, press the Power + Volume down buttons at the same time to take a full-screen screenshot. Remind that the Volume button is different from the volume keys present on your keyboard. Thus, you will find the Volume button on the right or left side of your Chromebook.
3. By Using Chrome
If you want to take a screenshot of web pages, you can use the built-in screenshot tool of chrome. The demerit of this method is that you cannot use it to take screenshots outside of the Chrome browser.
To use this method, follow the given steps.
- First, open Chrome and press the three-dot icon at the top.
- Now go to more tools followed by Take screenshot.
The screen will dim and a screenshot will be captured. Then you will receive a notification. You can approach the screenshot from the clipboard.
4. By Using a Stylus
If your Chromebook supports a stylus, then you might use the same to take a screenshot without a Windows key.
- Click on the Pen icon on the Chromebook’s work bar shelf.
- A menu will open here.
- Click on the Capture screen to take a full-screen screenshot.
5. By Using External Keyboard
Chromebook’s keyboard is a little different than a regular external keyboard. For instance, you would not find the Show windows key in it. If you intend to take a screenshot using an external non-Chrome OS keyboard, then you have to follow the following shortcuts:
- Ctrl + F5 for a full screenshot.
- Ctrl + Shift + F5 for the partial screenshot.
6. By Using Google Assistant
Also, you can ask Google Assistant to take a screenshot on your Chromebook. That is, first, activate Google Assistant on your Chromebook by saying hey Google. Then ask the command Take a screenshot, and the screenshot-captured notification will appear on the screen.
To use this functionality, Google Assistant must be allowed on your device.
- For this, go to Chromebook Settings > Search & Assistant > Google Assistant.
- Turn on the switch next to off to turn it on.
- Always select next to the Hey Google drop-down box. Also, you might have to train your voice.
- Alternatively, you might activate Google Assistant by clicking on the Assistant icon in the search bar on Chromebook’s search.
- Say Take a screenshot.
7. By Using Chrome Extensions
When the above methods to take a screenshot on a Chromebook without a Windows key do not suit your requirements, then you can rely on Chrome extensions as well. These extensions can be downloaded from the Chrome web store.
These apps are designed to take screenshots within the Chrome browser, and some of them allow you to select any open window to take a screenshot. Furthermore, most of the extensions will allow you to take a scrolling screenshot too.
Shortcut to Take Screenshots on Chromebook
- Full-screen screenshot
Follow the Control + Show Windows key, it may look like a rectangle with two lines on the right side.
- Partial screenshot
Control + Shift + Show Windows key.
- Window screenshot
Control + Alt + Show Windows key.
- Access more screenshot features
Opens the Screen Capture tool, Shift + Control + Show Windows key, then select a screenshot option from the toolbar.
Power button + volume down button
- Access more screenshot features on tablets
Power the button + select Screen Capture.
What is the Shortcut to Take a Screenshot on a Chromebook
A screenshot also known as a screen capture or screen grab is a digital image that shows the contents of a computer display. Screenshots are created by the operating system or software running on the device powering the display. In Addition, screenshots can be captured by an external camera, using photography to capture content on the screen. Taking a screenshot is a basic function integrated into nearly any system or OS, and a traditional keyboard on a PC even has its own function. However, taking a screenshot on a Chromebook is not as automatic.
Read Also, How to buy Bitcoin with PayPal on Coinbase
Q: Where are screenshots saved on Chromebook?
Ans: You will find all screenshots and screen recordings in the Downloads folder of your Files app. Also, the last five items in Clipboards can be accessed using the Search key + V keyboard shortcut.
Q: How to Edit Screenshots on Chromebook?
Ans: Click on the screenshot in the Files app in the built-in photo app, to open it. You will find several editing options in the toolbar at the top.
Q: What is the shortcut for a screenshot?
Ans: You may take a screenshot using the CTRL + Print Screen shortcut.